Yes, it’s basic, but surprisingly can confuse nearly anyone.
This tutorial runs you through how to properly log in and log out of a WordPress site. It provides tips for moving between fields and what happens when you make a mistake… it happens to all of us.
Furthermore, it includes a Crib Sheet for your use after you’ve viewed the video.
- Open any browser (Safari, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc).
- In the address bar at the top, type the name of your domain, secret directory, and “wp-admin” and <enter>.
Eg. If the domain was mythicalmoose.com then you would type “www.mythicalmoose.com/<name of the secret directory>/wp-admin <enter> and be patient while the page loads.
- Once you see the WordPress logo (a “W” in a circle) with the Username and Password fields below, enter your username and password then press <enter> or left-click on the “Log in” button and you’ll be taken to the WordPress Dashboard.
Note the Username and Password are CaSeSenSitiVE!
- If you type either then Username or Password incorrectly, the window will wiggle… no problem, just fill in both the fields again and hit <enter> or left-click on the “Log in” button.
Remember the Username and Password are CaSeSenSitiVE!
- In the upper right corner of the WordPress Dashboard, in a black menu bar, you’ll see the text “Howdy, <whoever you are>”
- Hover your mouse over the text “Howdy, <whoever you are>” and wait for the drop-down menu to appear.
- Move your mouse down to the bottom option “Log Out” and left-click on the option.
- You will be taken back to the “Log In” screen that you saw when you were logging in in step 3 above.